Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Ever-Looming Deadline

Well. This topic is rather appropriate to this month, with Last WriYe'er Standing in full swing [in which I am a participant, as every year], JulNo creeping up way too fast for my liking, and WriYe 2013 literally halfway done. For me, the summer is like a collection of never ending deadlines. 

But, rather than letting them paralyze me with fear, I embrace them. I am one of those weird people that works better the closer I am to needing to be finished. It's the reason I have my days off from work split up so there is one during the week and one on a weekend: if they were together, the entire first day I would be laying around doing literally nothing because I knew I had all that time the following day to get everything done. Which isn't fun. This way, I have chore and errands split up so I'm never truly overwhelmed on a single day off, which leaves a bit of wiggle room for unplanned things and spontaneity. 

Looking back on my previous post, I'm going to reiterate something I talked about there in this post: LISTS. Make them, cross things off of them... Cherish them like they are your first born child. I mean, what? 

The feeling of accomplishment when you're able to cross off an entire day's list is like none other. Even if you include the simple, daily activities, like showering and cooking dinner, the accomplishment when you cross off all of those things for the day is still a great feeling, and a good source of motivation. Of course, it's not going to feel as awesome that you showered for the third time that week as it would after adding the final touches on your novel and get to cross that goal off, but hey! Who's counting?

As for meeting and missing, well, just keep at it. Sometimes you're not going to be able to accomplish everything you set out to in a single 24-hour period. Sometimes, you decide to sleep in for a day, instead of getting up at 8a on your day off to start tackling the list. There's family emergencies, things taking longer than expected, and just wanting to kick back and FaceTime with a friend instead of being productive. We've all been there. Just carry the task over to the following day's list and get it done then. It's simple. 

Don't be too discouraged by the things you didn't finish. Instead, celebrate those that you did. Be proud of yourself for taking a day to pay attention to you. Enjoy laying in bed doing absolutely nothing for an extra hour some morning. Just... Don't let those Plants vs. Zombies marathons take over your entire life, or else you're ever going to get anything done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment