Monday, June 30, 2014

JulNoWriMo 2014: Zombies Get their Unhappy Endings

Zombies! 
Most people know that I'm a realistic fiction writer most of the year. I'd rather have a box of chocolates and bouquet of roses for weapons than a sword and shield most of the time, despite the lack of real defensive properties of flowers and candies. There is one time every year that I hang my proverbial genre-niche hat and break out into another genre. I don't mind that the genre I write in is a very tiny subgenre. It's something different and that's all that matters. And that genre? Supernatural Horror. Because I write about Zombies.

As is very consistent with my normal writing, I am terrible at finishing things that I start. My zombie novels are no exception to this pattern. Of the three zombie novels (and one short story) that I've started, I have finished one of those things. The short story. This year, my goal is to finish at least two of those currently-in progress novels. And those are the two I want to ramble about for a few minutes here. 

Boarded-In: The Hell Academy Boarding School was never quite as it seemed: rules were broken constantly, people were worse behaved there than they ever were in public school, and not everyone came from the background they appeared to. But when eating flesh becomes the new fad in school, Rachel, Jake, and Carol realize they are really in for far more than they originally had bargained for.
Carney-Vores: Bucca Park is one of the nation’s biggest collections of rollercoasters and Mallory Skyy cannot keep herself away any longer. Despite a shocking ride-related fatality only a few weeks before her Spring Break trip to the park and many hushed secrets about the place, she drags her boyfriend to the park anyway. There’s more thrills than the attractions as they battle through this Zombie Park.

So, those are the two stories that I'm focusing on this Zombie July over on JulNoWriMo. Alongside my Camp NaNo novel SKY OF STARS, which is a traditional romance / chick lit within my normal series. Why these two novels? Well, the easiest reason / explanation is because they are the two oldest, so they should be the ones to be finished first, I think. But also, they're the two that are the most planned out and I have a pretty well-established plot for both of them. And then there's the cheating reason... That those two are both already over 10k, whereas my third unfinished zombie novel is sitting, currently, at a whopping 800 words. (It was a very sad realization that of the 9k I had written last summer in Zomb-Chicka-Bow-Wow, most had been lost.) Yeah. I don't know what else to include in this post. But Zombies! They will be had. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment